Pages

26.2.12

Super Crop (Not Starring Jackie Chan)

I've really been into square crops, lately. I'm not really sure what brought it on, but I just feel like it works so well for a lot of things that I might not be one hundred percent on board with.

For example...


This is the original, uncropped shot that I took. As far as being happy with how photos turn out, I got the exposure and the look of the clouds, and everything almost the way I wanted it. (100iso, f5.6, 93 second exposure [if you want a more detailed run down of the exif bits, go here: Flickr])

Here's the problem: See that fire hydrant on the left hand side? Yeah, so did I--after the fact. Also, it's not as though I could really have gotten all of the lines and the van how I wanted them in the shot without having the tripod set where it was. So basically, it was sort of unavoidable. (And I think that the wider perspective adds something to the shot, but I've got a strange kind of pickiness that I don't really have an explanation for, sometimes.)

But, I was happy with it outside of that. So I cropped. I centered the van up, slightly more than I had gotten it in the original (I definitely could have been a few inches more to the left), and I cropped that mother fucker.
Then I was happy, mostly. 

It might have been nice to have more of that cloud movement visible, but what feels right, feels right. And there's only so much arguing you can do with your gut before it just tells the other parts of you to chill the fuck out, go have a beer or get laid, and leave the decisions about photo cropping to him.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous28.2.12

    Awesome pics at a familiar place. I like the uncropped image mainly for the fact that it adds an additional sense of emptiness and the extra lines draw me into the photo more I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely am torn on this one. I agree, on the one hand. But, looking at the picture full screen/in actual size--that damn hydrant bugged the poo out of me. Maybe I'll find another night where the sky is red and cloudy like that so late at night, but this time there will be more snow... or I'll take a sledge hammer to the hydrant. Random tower of water surging from the ground would probably be acceptable.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4.3.12

    Haha I hear ya, have the same feeling with a few of my photos. You could wait till there's a little more snow, build an awkward snowman in front of the hydrant!

    ReplyDelete