Pages

24.2.12

Mid-winter (?) Updates

It's been around 40F during the day for most of February, so I'm convinced that this either isn't really winter, or the matrix is broken and this isn't really Michigan. I'm unemployed like I'm in Michigan, so I'm guessing it's the former.

Lately, I've been taking pictures of things that I don't typically take pictures of outside of bmx: people.
(More after the jump.)

I'm continuing to push on with Run Jelly Pandas apparel (Facebook / web store) to the best of my financial ability. Which, f.y.i., we've got new shirts; t's and tanks. They should all be up in the online store this weekend.

After 28 years I've finally become a capitalist. At some point this year, I may even use that newly found sensibility to coerce myself into buying a much needed new pair of pants.

Until then, it's more about surviving and going back to school. Because, as much as I view formal schooling as an extremely slow and ineffective way to learn things, I can't find steady work, so I don't know what else to do. (Single, rich old ladies with a cough, wink-wink.)
Taking pictures for people is actually teaching me things about people/myself/some other cliche thing that people learn about.
Sometimes silly things--silly things I easily forget. Like, how a picture is, in essence, just an image (sort of).
And that behind that image (and something that becomes much more apparent as you go through all of the photos you've taken) there are all of these beautiful moments we see every day... But how they often get lost in between everything else we're so self-assured that we have to focus on accomplishing. And how, when the right people are in the picture with us, it's a little easier to act a little more natural, feel a little more comfortable, and smile a little bit more.

Anyway, I'm sick of those times where you try to stretch $28 worth of generic brand groceries to feed two people for two weeks. I've been trying to fill in the gaps with photo work--which if you're interested in, you can contact me through the e-mail listed here @ http://rjplab.blogspot.com/ & https://www.facebook.com/RJPlab (I'll travel anywhere for photos if travel is paid, but I'm based out of Grand Rapids, MI, don't ya know). 

It sounds weird telling someone you're a photographer, though. I grew up working with my hands, and I grew up being taught that hard work is the best work. So fun is a little weird.

More soon,
RV

-------------------

And if you're in West Michigan area, there's an awesome dude that can help you out with your screen printing needs here: Lakeshoredesign

No comments:

Post a Comment