Pages

8.11.10

Why we ride.

I've always loved these kinds of little vids. It showcases a rider, but really isn't about the rider himself.














 All of the people that I know that ride come from different backgrounds. Some share certain commonalities--like the town that they grew up in, or the heroes that they look up to--but most, if not all, are drastically different from one another.

The people that I ride with now, the riders from the edges of the Boston area, don't share much background with the people that got me in to riding (my cousin and friends from the metropolitan areas of Manila in the Philippines), and don't share much background with the rural riders of my birth town back in Michigan.

Mannerisms are different. Speech patterns are different. Clothing and modes of transportation are different (insert water buffalo joke here).

But it really doesn't matter where they're from--there's always that unifying idea of escape and decompression. That's what makes bmx such a beautiful thing. That's what each of us that rides shares in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment